Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Rush (Ha Ha) to GBMC

At this point, I was feeling a little more relaxed as I had 1) made it through the day and 2) Miles would be staying with Josh for the evening if we were to be admitted to the hospital.  Chris was there is no time and we were at the house packing our bag.  We were probably at the house for about 20 minutes packing the bag, feeding the cats and a few other things that needed to be done before heading to the hospital for a few days... Hoping we would be back home with out Miles in a few short hours.

At this point the contractions were becoming stronger and stronger, but we were on our way to the hospital, so who cared... After all, it only takes 20 minutes to get to the hospital.  Wrong!!!  The traffic was SO BAD for some unknown reason.  It ended up taking us almost 30 minutes just to get off of Baltimore Street!  In total, the drive to GMBC was around 75 minutes... YIKES!!!  Needless to say, I began timing the contractions as they were getting pretty intense in the car.  This time, they were running between 2 and 3 minutes apart... Maybe we shouldn't have gone home!

Contractions in route to GBMC:
            Duration:                                                           Interval:
6:50     31 seconds
6:53     41 seconds                                                         2:29 minutes
6:56     51 seconds                                                         2:57 minutes
7:00     51 seconds                                                         3:47 minutes
7:02     41 seconds                                                         2:21 minutes

We arrived at GBMC around 7.  We were sent to the admitting waiting room, where I was unable to sit in the chair at this point.  Instead I was standing, swaying back and forth as Chris made every attempt to distract me.  After what seemed forever, but I am sure was no longer than 10 minutes, we were back in triage being evaluated.  I was in fact in labor, and dilated to 1cm!  They hooked me up to all the monitors to evaluate how both Baby and I were doing.  Chris watched the monitors as my contractions were getting closer and closer together and stronger and stronger in intensity.  It wasn't long before they hooked me up to 2 bags of fluids in hopes to slow down the contractions.  The fluids helped a little, but not enough for the medical team's liking.  The concern for Baby was that every time I had a contraction, Baby must have been pushing up against the umbilical cord, causing a "hick-up" in Baby's heart rate.

Dr. Merryman arrived and agreed with the team that tonight is the night... Baby was going to be born soon.  The only thing that was slowing down Baby's birth at this point was the need for an OR to open up for us.  With this news, Chris became a very busy man, sending texts to family and friends letting them know that we were about to be in the OR to have our Baby!  He also had to help "coach" me through what seemed like horrible contractions.  I was hooked up to so many monitoring devises that I just could not move.  All I wanted to do was at least sit up or stand as I was experiencing horrible back labor, and according to Chris my contractions at this point were "off the charts."

Finally, we were headed down the hallway towards the OR.  This was when Chris and I were separated while they prepped me for the OR.  I finally received my spinal and began to relax a bit from the pain and really begin to think about the fact that we were about to have our Baby.  I remember just watching the clock, noticing it was 9:30ish while they were prepping me and the room.  It was at this point that Chris was allowed back in the room!  Yeah, my support system that I had missed so much for the past 15ish minutes.

Almost immediately after Chris was back in the room, the c-section began.  The surgery seemed to take forever, but at least I wasn't crying this time around like I was with Miles.  The team that performed the surgery was incredible, especially the anesthesiologist and Dr. Merryman.  When Baby was about to be born, she gave Chris a 30 second warning to get the camera out and ready, so that Chris could get some just born photos.


Right as Chris was taking the pictures, I wish I could have taken a picture of him as Dr. Merryman announced... It's a BOY!!!!  Oh the priceless moments of life that you know you will never forget!  Chris stayed with me for a few minutes, and then went over to be with Jackson and see how he was doing.  Chris' first words to me was "he is so skinny."  Then the official birth weight came out... 6 lbs 13.2 ounces.  (For reference, Miles was 7 lbs 6 ounces.)




Chris then spent the rest of the time jumping back and forth between myself and Jackson, making sure both of us were doing ok.  Jackson was doing wonderful with an Apgar of 8/10, while I was actually pretty relaxed, trying to get my head around the fact that I am now surrounded by a whole bunch of boys at home.  I have to be honest... There was a petrifying moment for me when things really started to sink in.

Before long, Chris was able to introduce me to Jackson.  As I looked at him, all I could think about was how gorgeous he was.  The anesthesiologist then helped Chris take a few pictures of Jackson and I and before we knew it we were all off to recovery together.




No comments:

Post a Comment