Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Fun Day at Work

This morning started off a little strange, but for the most part, started off as a normal day.  I was awoken this morning around 5AM with some rather strange sensations.  I laid in bed, drifting in and out of sleep feeling what I was thinking was simply strong braxton hicks.  After much procrastination, I finally got out of bed, got ready for work, got Miles up and ready for Josh's, packed lunch, etc.  Before I knew it, Chris was about to drop me off at work.  I am not quit sure where it came from, but right before I got out of the car I found myself saying to Chris "please keep your cell phone close by, I just have a funny feeling about today."

As I walked into work, I found myself stopping in the hallway, holding onto the wall and tearing up a little for 30 ish seconds at a time.  After everyone told me a few times to go home, things seemed to start to calm down a bit.  By 8:00 I was starting to get the feeling that I had better start to time the "contractions," as I could not really get a take on how long they were lasting or how far apart they were, so I pulled up an app on my phone and started timing them.  This continued all morning, as there was not much of a pattern to them.  I made Chris aware around lunch time and we agreed that we did not think this was the "real thing."  After all, if I was in labor, how in the world could I be working, holding meetings, concentrating, etc.

The morning contractions that I tracked between 8:15 and 11:16
Duration:                                                               Interval:
39 seconds                    
22 seconds                                                             2:20 minutes
1:04 minutes                                                          8:24 minutes
36 seconds                                                             7:56 minutes
38 seconds                                                             5:46 minutes
46 seconds                                                             7:55 minutes
1:03 minutes                                                          9:16 minutes
39 seconds                                                             6:54 minutes
39 seconds                                                             7:50 minutes
1:00 minutes                                                          3:26 minutes
30 seconds                                                             5:11 minutes
54 seconds                                                             12:19 minutes
52 seconds                                                             12:52 minutes
45 seconds                                                             7:50 minutes
1:03 minutes                                                          6:38 minutes
50 seconds                                                             33:00 minutes
37 seconds                                                             14:51 minutes
40 seconds                                                             8:28 minutes
51 seconds                                                             4:44 minutes
50 seconds                                                             15:59 minutes

Later in the afternoon things had not slowed down, in fact, the intensity was beginning to increase, and the frequency was becoming more consistent.  I did not want to call my OB, as I was afraid if I did that they were going to have me come in immediately to be checked out, and in my opinion, I was doing fine and could make it through the work day, so I kept pushing off calling.  I also had the feeling if I did go to labor and delivery to be evaluated they might just go ahead and do the c-section today, a week early.  I was not emotionally ready for that, and truth be told, the house was not clean or prepared for me to have Baby today.  Chris and I did not have a backup plan for Miles and we did not have a hospital bag packed yet, so in no way was I ready.

As the afternoon continued, I was still able to work.  I had a meeting with my boss and my counterpart at 2:30, and I had promised Chris I would call our OB when the meeting was over at 4:00.  So that I could give my OB an accurate description of the contractions, I began tracking the contractions during the meeting.  The meeting ended a little past 4:30.  At that time I looked down at my phone and realized that my contractions were now lasting between 30 and 45 seconds and were now only 5 minutes apart and pretty consistent.  It was at this point that I decided it was time to tell my boss, as well as call our OB.  As I was on the phone with my OB, two of my co-workers along with my boss were eagerly packing up my things for the day and trying to close any loose ends that were hanging as they were trying to "push" me out the door.

Contractions from during the meeting:
               Duration:                                               Interval:
3:09        49 seconds
3:14        32 seconds                                            4:26 minutes
3:19        41 seconds                                            4:52 minutes
3:24        41 seconds                                            5:43 minutes
3:30        54 seconds                                            5:15 minutes

Unfortunately our OB was not on call for the day, but her counterpart in the practice was.  That was fine with me, as I had seen Dr. Merryman on Monday for my 38 week appointment, so she remembered me from the other day.  She said the decision to come in was ultimately up to me, but that they did not want me laboring, so her recommendation was to come into the hospital and she would see me soon.  Very upset, I got off the phone with her and immediately called Chris.  As I told him I was being sent to GBMC to be evaluated, he immediately started to clean up for the day, heading to pick me up.  He offered to drop by the house and finish packing our bag, but I told him that I would prefer that he come and pick me up and I would help pack the bag, so he agreed.  I then spoke with Josh, who was generous enough to keep Miles for the evening until our parents could pick him up the following day if that is what was needed.

We were off to GBMC!


No comments:

Post a Comment